Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Colors and Magic

Wow, I have to say I was impressed by the way Warbreaker handled magic. I never thought of it being portrayed that way and I loved it. It made me imagine a world resembling a painting. Where, when magic is used, the colors close by change, either getting brighter and dimmer. The importance of color in this world is extremely interesting to me. I really like that they have to think about the color clothes they wear or the color of the architecture so that the Awakeners, people who use the color to bring objects to life couldn't use it. It makes me wonder what this world would look like if it were real and tangible. Color is only additive in this multi layered magic, which is even cooler! They use Breath, which is almost like a life essence that everyone is born with, as their source of magic. This is what causes the disagreement between the two cities and to the inevitable war. I love fantasy realms and war games. I used to play Warhammer fantasy which is a table top war game. I've slightly grown out of it, but when I'm in the mood I can still get pretty excited about it. So, the genre of fantasy and wars is all too familiar to me and I do enjoy it.
My favorite character is most likely Vasher. He reminds me of other wizard type characters I've read about in recent books like The Dresden Files. He seems laid back a lot of the time but can also be badass when he wants to be. The other characters were more interesting than I expected, but I'm never really that partial to the princesses in the story. I'm a Zelda fanboy... Princesses are to be rescued. Not that they can't help every once and a while. What really surprised me is that Vasher had barely any time in the story at all. He was such a cool character yet he really only appeared near the end and in the prologue. I WANT MORE VASHER!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home