Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cyber-kinesis

I thought I'd give a shot at blogging about one of the films. I saw Akira a long time ago and even now I'm still not sure i understand the plot, but at the same time I love it. I am a huge fan of telekinesis and the film and graphic novel capture it perfectly. Also, what I love is the idea that this power can be obtained through technology. It was as if the tech was evolving or becoming part of our biological selves.
And of course the motorcycles... Those motorcycles are awesome and they definitely spell out cyberpunk. Everything about a punk motorcycle gang in a futuristic/post-apocalyptic Tokyo, Japan screams cyberpunk. They acted like they were from the 80's wearing leather jackets and running around just being rebels, but they rode these bikes that were comparable to the light cycles from Tron.
The city itself can also be an example of cyberpunk. It's very futuristic feeling but at the same time very grimy and run down. I could see this being the Tokyo in Bladerunner. It just had a very cyberpunk feel to it.
The ending was confusing to me. I mean, I understood that Akira was more of an idea, but the giant baby creature was confusing. Obviously Tetsuo's power was cybernetic because when he touched the stone, blocky cyber extensions or roots grew out of him. But the giant baby thing seemed too organic. I wasn't very sure where they were going with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home